Friday, 5 August 2005

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I saw Depp's new film last night. The ticket is cheap, worth only 2 packs of Cheetos. ^+++^


Depp's films are always worth seeing. There is no doubt he is a considerable talented actor. He can do anything. He could be Captain Jack Sparrow and author of Peter Pan and now Willy Wonka!

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I knew I will like it from the beginning, 'cause I saw young Charlie's house. Isn't it fantastic? The small cabinet is shabby, ragged, and crazily leaned. And Charlie's "room" is open to the air. The Burrow, the Weasley's house, is roomy and neat, compared to Charlie's home. But I like them both. The Buckets are funny people. 4 grandparents are just like the house, ready to collapse anytime. The story sometimes goes too exciting and it worries me, afraid that any of them will have a stroke.

Other 4 kids are very funny, stereotyped in different ways. You must met some or all of them in your life. They are funny because they are predictable. It's the author's imaginative arrangement made me laugh. As to the astonishing Chocolate factory, wow, you must go to see yourself. It's colourful, beautiful, magical and delicious. Brilliant!

Willy Wonka, owner of the mysterious factory, is a quirk. Johnny Depp added some oddity and eeriness to this character incrediblely and made me fond of this petulant and creepy chocolatier though he resembles Michael Jackson a bit.

Freddie Highmore is amazing too. His firmly look made you feel there is really a plucky young English boy inside. I knew there must be chemistry between he and Johnny Depp when I saw Finding Neverland. This time, they have really found the neverland.

I haven't seen Wilder's version of Willy Wonka but I am sure Tim Burton and Depp's version is far beyond good enough. I have made up my mind to read other Roald Dahl's books--Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. (It must be inherited from Willy Wonka, isn't it?) Must be fun!

PS. The Oompa Loompas was(were?) casted by Deep Roy, in case you want to know.

Here is a reminder of some of Johnny Depp's recent works:

Pirates of the Caribbean

Finding Neverland

Secret Window

From Hell

Chocolat

Sleepy Hollow

They are all fab, aren't they?

No comments: